College of Community Innovation and Education
School of Teacher Education,
Education Complex, Room: 209
Education Track Contact: Dr. Su Gao, ED 115F, Su.Gao@ucf.edu, 407-823-4834
The Secondary Education B.S. - Science Education Physics program offers students the option of two tracks: Science Education - Physics Track and Science Education - Physics Lifelong Learning Track (non-certification). The Education Track is appropriate for students interested in opportunities for employment in formal, 6-12 schools that require certification.
This Secondary Education B.S. - Science Education Physics program has potential ties to professional licensure or certification in the field. For more information on how this program may prepare you in that regard, please visit https://ccie.ucf.edu/teachered/secondaryed/science-education/.
- Complete the University General Education requirements or its equivalent, i.e. an AA degree from a Florida College System or State University System institution.
- Complete the EDF 2005 - Introduction to the Teaching Profession course with a minimum letter grade of “C-” (1.75) or better.
- Meet the Gordon Rule Requirement
- Meet Foreign Language Admission Requirement
- Have a minimum 2.5 overall GPA
- Pass all four parts of the General Knowledge Test (no alternatives or waivers are accepted).
- Students should see an advisor prior to registering for classes
- The courses designated in 1 (UCF General Education Program) and 2 (Education Common Program Prerequisites) should be completed prior to admission to the major and upper division education courses
- The Education Track is a state-approved, initial teacher preparation program designed in compliance with Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rule 6A-5.066. Degree requirement are subject to change based on state mandates.
General Education Program (GEP) (38 Credit Hours)
- Students are advised to take the preferred courses.
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
- General Education Program elective from Cultural & Historical Foundation, Area 1 to meet Gordon Rule Requirement Credit Hours: 3
- General Education Program elective: Prefer a second course from Cultural & Historical Foundation, Area 1 Credit Hours: 3
Mathematical Foundations (7 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (7 Credit Hours)
1 A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required.
2 A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required.
Select One: (3 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (23 Credit Hours)
See “Common Prerequisites ” in the Transfer and Transition Services section for more information.
A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required.
Core Requirements: Basic Level (3 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (56 Credit Hours)
- A grade of “C” (1.75) or better is required.
Education Core Requirements (18 Credit Hours)
1 Prerequisite to Internship I
Education Track Specialization Requirements (19 Credit Hours)
A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required.
1Prerequisite to Internship I
2Strongly recommended prior to Internship I
Internship I Block (7 Credit Hours)
Program Internship I Prerequisites: EDG 4410, TSL 4080, all Common Program Prerequisites, all Core Requirements: Basic Level, and at least 50% of all required specialization courses must be completed prior to Internship I with a minimum grade of “C-” (1.75) or better. However, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required in the education core, specialization and overall for admission into Internship I. It is strongly recommended that SCE 4361,SCE 4633, and SCE 4933 are taken prior to Internship I.
Passing score on the General Knowledge Test portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) is required before entry into Internship I.
Passing score on the Professional Education Test portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) is strongly recommended as soon as possible after completing the following courses: EDG 4410, EDF 4467, RED 4043, and TSL 4080.
Students must apply and be approved for Internship I. Deadline dates and placement application are available through the Office of Clinical & Field Experiences at https://ccie.ucf.edu/clinicalexp/. A fee may be required as part of the placement application process.
- SCE 3940 - Internship Credit Hours: 3
- SCE 4360 - Science Instructional Analysis Credit Hours: 4 1
1Strongly recommended to complete SCE 3940 and SCE 4360 concurrently in the fall semester. For students completing SCE 3940 in fall semester, SCE 4360 will be taken as a co-requisite. For students completing SCE 3940 in spring semester, SCE 4360 will be taken as a pre-requisite in the fall semester prior to internship.
Internship II Block (12 Credit Hours)
At least 80% of all required specialization courses and all education/methods courses must be completed with a letter grade of “C-” (1.75) or better before admission into Internship II. However, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required in the education core, specialization and overall for admission into Internship II.
Passing scores on all sections [General Knowledge, Professional, and Subject Area (Physics 6-12) of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) is required prior to entry into Internship II.
Students must apply and be approved for Internship II. Deadline dates and placement application are available through the Office of Clinical & Field Experiences at https://ccie.ucf.edu/clinicalexp/. A fee may be required as part of the placement application process.
Satisfactory completion of Internship II requires the student to demonstrate proficiency in all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices in accordance with State Board of Education Rule 6A-5.006.
Foreign Language Requirements
- State University System foreign language admission requirement: two years in high school or one year of college instruction in a single foreign language. (This requirement applies to those students admitted to the University without the required two units of foreign language in high school.)
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in all courses within the major.
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in the specialization coursework.
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in the education core coursework.
- Achieve a minimum overall 2.5 GPA
- You must upload key assignments using the Via by Watermark platform. Key assignments are assessed by faculty to provide evidence of candidate proficiency in all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs). All teacher education candidates, Lifelong Learning majors, and Early Childhood Development & Education majors (all ECDE tracks) are required to complete Via requirements before being certified for graduation. See https://ccie.ucf.edu/explore-via/
- Pass all applicable sections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination. See http://www.fldoe.org for test dates and test sites. Effective January 1, 2015, only examination results earned by educators within 10 years prior to the date of application for a new Florida Educator’s Certificate with the Florida Department of Education may be acceptable for certification eligibility requirements (SBE Rule 6A-4.002)
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $12 per term
- Full-Time Student: $24 per term
Plan of Study (120 Credit Hours)
Science Education Physics Track (6-12)
Freshman Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (16 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Summer (7 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Summer (3 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (13 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (12 Credit Hours)
- SCE 4941 - Internship Credit Hours: 9