Dec 19, 2018
College of Arts and Humanities
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures,
Colbourn Hall, Room: 519
Dr. Francisco Fernandez-Rubiera, Rubiera@ucf.edu
Placement in language courses is based on one year of high school language being equivalent to one semester of college work. For example, four years of high school Spanish place the student in the first semester of the third year. Native Spanish speakers, nearnative Spanish speakers, or students who have received advanced education abroad must substitute select classes.
- 36 credits in Spanish must be taken at the 3XXX level or above.
- At least 6 of the 36 Spanish credits must be at the 4XXX level.
- At least 30 credit hours must be taken in Modern Language courses taught in Spanish.
- Students must earn at least a “C” (2.0) in each upper division Spanish course.
- Departmental Residency Requirement consists of at least 18 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3XXX-4XXX level courses taken from the UCF Department of Modern Languages and Literatures.
- Language credit by exam will not be given in courses lower in level than those in which students are presently enrolled. Native speakers will be allowed Credit by Examination in literature courses only.
- Co-op or internship credit cannot be used in this major.
- Students must see their departmental advisor to obtain proper counseling and have their schedule approved before registering for courses in their major.
- Courses designated in 1 (General Education Program) and 2 (Common Program Prerequisites) are usually completed in the first 60 hours.
General Education Program (GEP) (36 Credit Hours)
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Statistics - Computers: (3 Credit Hours)
You may substitute a higher level math with appropriate scores on the Math Placement Test 3 hrs
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP)
See “Common Prerequisites ” in the Transfer and Transitions Services section for more information.
1 May be met by proficiency test or completion of SPN 3234
Core Requirements: Basic Level
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (15 Credit Hours)
Select the three following courses (9 Credit Hours)
1 A native or near-native Spanish speaker must substitute an alternate upper division Spanish course in consultation with a departmental advisor.
Select two of the following literature courses: (6 Credit Hours)
Restricted Electives (21 Credit Hours)
Select one linguistics course from the following (3 Credit Hours)
Spanish literature beyond the survey level (3 Credit Hours)
- Any 4XXX level SPW course not already used in the major
Select one Culture and Civilization (3 Credit Hours)
Additional Spanish electives (12 Credit Hours)
- Select any 3XXX, 4XXX, 5XXX SPN, SPW, SPT courses not already used in the major *Maximum of 9 hours of 5XXX level courses accepted
- Select primarily from upper level courses after meeting with a departmental advisor. Courses may be outside the department with the approval of the Spanish section director.
Foreign Language Requirements
- Met by Graduation requirements.
- Met by Common Program Prerequisites.
- The Modern Languages and Literatures Department offers multiple opportunities to complete the signature experience requirement. Please consult the Undergraduate Advisor for a full listing.
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Earn a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher in at least 36 credit hours of upper division Spanish courses.
- Students are required to satisfactorily complete a departmental exit exam, entirely in Spanish. The exam is offered each September and February and students need the approval of their advisor to take the exam. Students should discuss the optimal test date with their advisor and the Spanish Section Director. Students may take the Spanish Exit Exam up to a maximum of two times. Students are eligible to take the exam after they complete the literature survey sequence and the linguistics requirement. Exceptions must be approved by the student’s Spanish advisor and by the Spanish Section Director.
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
- Lower division courses do not substitute for upper division courses.
- Courses transferred from private and out-of-state schools must be evaluated by the department chair for equivalency credit. The student must provide all supporting information.
- Native speakers, or students who have received advanced education in Spanish-speaking societies, may not take lower division Spanish courses. They must substitute Third-year level, composition, grammar and conversation courses.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
Plan of Study
- One of numerous possible plans of study. See program description for all requirements. Courses with an asterisk (*) may be replaced by alternates in the same requirement. Consult a departmental advisor for alternate, new, or more appropriate selections.
Freshman Year - Fall (16 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)