Nov 12, 2019
College of Arts and Humanities
Department of Music,
Performing Art Center - Music, Room: M203
Kirk Gay, email@example.com, 407-823-5968
Audition Requirements for Admission
- Acceptance into the Department of Music is conditional upon completion of a successful audition. Go to http://www.music.ucf.edu/admissionsauditions.php to learn more about specific audition requirements and recommended repertoire for each instrument and voice.
- The audition will serve as a placement examination for accepted candidates
Professional Sequence Entrance Review
- Prospective composition students must audition for and be accepted for either the BA in Music, the BME degree or the Bachelor of Music in Performance or Jazz Studies for their first two years of study. Students will normally be considered for acceptance into the Bachelor of Music in Composition in the fourth semester of study at UCF. Students will be accepted based on the Professional Sequence Entrance Review. Students will be required to pass this evaluation before entering Level III Composition.
This review will include:
- Approval of composition portfolio
- Completion of Composition I and II
- Completion of Performance I and II
- Completion of MUS 2360C
- Completion of MUT 2127 - Music Theory and Musicianship IV
- Completion of Class Piano IV
- Overall GPA of at least 2.5, and a GPA for all music courses of at least 3.0.
- This review is a pre-requisite for Composition level III.
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- At least 65 hours of credit must be earned in music courses.
- Departmental Residency Requirement; at least 30 hours must be taken from the UCF Music department.
- Composition students must present one faculty-approved public recital.
- Students should consult with a departmental advisor for course selection.
- Courses designated in 1 (General Education Program) are usually completed throughout four years of study.
- Students must complete a faculty-approved Senior BM web portfolio.
- A cumulative minimum GPA of 3.00 based upon all courses required in the major as well as all courses taken in music is required. Failure to maintain this standard may result in program probation or dismissal. Please refer to the SPA Student Handbook (http://performingarts.cah.ucf.edu/music/resources) for details on program standards.
General Education Program (GEP) (36 Credit Hours)
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Statistics - Computers: (3 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (32 Credit Hours)
See “Common Prerequisites ” in the Transfer and Transitions Services section for more information.
Core Requirements: Basic Level (20 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (23 Credit Hours)
Professional Sequence Requirements:
1 Two semesters for total 6 hrs
2 Two semesters for total 8 hrs
Restricted Electives (9 Credit Hours)
- Any secondary performance course not in area of major instrument, or
- Any MUC, MUE, MUG, MUH, MUL, MUM, MUN, MUO, MUS, MUT, MVX courses numbered 3000 or higher.
Special Non-Course Requirements: Major Ensemble Participation
- Selected from University Chorus, Women’s Chorus, Symphony Orchestra, Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, and Marching Band. Four hours of Jazz Ensemble may be used as Major Ensemble credit.
- Ensemble assignment is by the Ensemble Directors.
- Students must take Major Ensemble during each semester at UCF.
- Students taking a course in Performance must concurrently take a major ensemble appropriate to their principal instrument or voice.
Special Non-Course Requirements: Minor Ensemble Participation
- If Minor Ensemble is taken at UCF, the semester hours of credit must be spread over at least two separate semesters.
- If Minor Ensemble credits are transferred to UCF, each remaining credit must be taken in a separate semester.
- Minor Ensembles include: Brass, Percussion, Piano, Madrigal Singers, Women’s Chorus, Opera Workshop, Woodwind, Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combo, and Early Music Ensemble
- Select primarily from upper level courses after meeting with a departmental advisor. Courses may be outside the department.
Foreign Language Requirements
- Two years of foreign language in high school or one year of foreign language in college (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to graduation.
Signature Experience requirement is met by successful completion of the following course(s):
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Earn a grade of “C” (2.0) or better in each Music course.
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
- Lower division courses do not substitute for upper division courses.
- Courses transferred from private and out-of-state schools must be evaluated for equivalency credit. The student must provide all supporting information.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $45 per term
- Full-Time Student: $90 per term
Plan of Study (120 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (16 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (16 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (16 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (13 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)