Nov 12, 2019
College of Medicine
Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences
Health and Public Affairs II, Room: 335
Dr. Griffith Parks, Director, 407-823-5932
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- Students should complete the General Education Program before transferring within the Florida CollegeSystem or State University System.
- Grades below “C” in Common Program Prerequisites, Core Requirements and Restricted Electives will not be accepted.
- Students in the Neuroscience track must maintain a minimum science GPA of 3.2. Students who are unable to maintain such GPA must revert back into the non-track Biomedical Sciences B.S.
- Students should consult with a BSBS academic advisor at least once a semester.
General Education Program (GEP)
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (7 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP)
See “Common Prerequisites ” in the Transfer and Transitions Services section for more information.
Select one of the following sequences of courses:
Core Requirements: Basic Level
Core Requirements: Advanced Level
Students must choose 3 courses. Two must come from the list below and the additional course can come from the broader list under the Biomedical Sciences (non-track). Two of these three courses must have a laboratory component.
As an alternative to one of these listed electives, students can take part in a GEAR course, the PURE program, the PILOT course, or carry out an HIM thesis. Any one of these courses or programs will substitute for a restricted elective course, including elective laboratory courses.
Additional restricted electives can be taken as approved by the associate director.
- Variable. Students are encouraged to participate in undergraduate research if interested in pursuing graduate or professional education.
Foreign Language Requirements
- Two years of one foreign language in high school, or one year of foreign language in college (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to graduation.
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Students must complete all coursework in the baccalaureate curriculum as shown and earn a GPA of at least 3.20 for all coursework in the sciences.
- Independent study, directed research or similar credit may not be used as a restricted elective.
- A minimum of 20 hours must be taken at UCF in the department of the major.
- Students will be required to take a comprehensive test during their last semester.
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Semester Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
- Application and admissions through the Department and the Burnett Honors College.
- Fulfill University requirements for Honors in the Major and maintain a 3.2 UCF GPA; 3.5 in the major; 3.2 cumulative average for graded upper division courses regardless of the institution.
Complete the following course with a grade of B or better.
1 Honors section
Complete the following with a grade of B or better and successfully complete the oral defense of the Honors Thesis.
- MCB 4970H - Honors Undergraduate Thesis II Credit Hours: 1
- Students who begin a two semester sequence course (e.g. General Chemistry) at a Florida College System institution are strongly encouraged to complete the sequence before transferring. If it will not be possible to complete the sequence before transferring, the student should postpone beginning the course until enrolling at UCF.
- Lower division courses do not substitute for upper division courses.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
Freshman Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Summer (9 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (13 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)