May 20, 2019
College of Sciences
Department of Chemistry,
Physical Sciences, Room: 255
Dr. Pedro Patino
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- Co-op or internship credit cannot be used in the major
- Students should consult with a departmental advisor
- Departmental Residency Requirement consists of at least 30 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3000-4000 level courses taken from the UCF Department of Chemistry
- Chemistry majors are discouraged from taking courses as a transient student at a Florida College System institution, except in situations where one semester of a two semester sequence has already been taken at the Florida College System institution
- All prerequisites of courses taught within the College of Sciences will be enforced.
- Courses designated in Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) are usually completed in the first 60 hours,
- AA transfer students are expected to have completed the following courses before enrolling as a Chemistry major. These classes are prerequisites for advanced science classes and students entering without these classes will be unable to register for most of the advanced courses.
General Education Program (GEP) (39 Credit Hours)
- Note: Certain courses must be selected in the GEP for this major, which brings the GEP hours above 36
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (8 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (24 Credit Hours)
and complete all the following
Core Requirements: Basic Level (4 hrs)
- All courses specifically identified in the preceding Common Program Prerequisites section of this catalog are also required in the Basic Core, and must be taken.
Basic Core: Required, satisfies the CPP
Core: Additional requirements (4 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (34 Credit Hours)
Restricted Electives (9 Credit Hours)
Select from the following courses: (6 Credit Hours)
Directed Electives (3 Credit Hours)
- Course will be selected with the aid of a departmental advisor and approved in advance by the department chair. Course will be selected from the physical, biological, mathematical sciences and/or related disciplines and normally will be at the 3000/4000 level. Co-op courses cannot be used in the major.
- Select primarily from upper level courses after meeting with a departmental advisor. Courses may be outside the department.
Foreign Language Requirements
- Two years high school, or one year college language (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to graduation.
- Complete a minimum of 30 Chemistry credits from the UCF Chemistry Department.
- Students must earn at least a “C” (2.0) or better in each UCF Chemistry course used to satisfy the major.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all UCF Chemistry courses.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all Chemistry courses.
- For both cumulative GPA calculations, all attempts of courses that could meet requirements are included, with the exception of CHM 4912, CHM 4930 , and CHM 4931 . Additional courses that could meet requirements but are taken beyond the minimum required (e.g., additional restricted electives taken beyond the required 10 hours) and a “C” (2.0) or better is earned, are also included in the major GPA calculations
- The last 30 credit hours of regularly scheduled courses that satisfy degree requirements must be taken in Residence at UCF.
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Students are required to take a nationally normed test in chemistry during their last semester. The exam will be given in the Fall and Spring semesters. Students who plan to graduate in the Summer must take the exam in the Spring. The student must achieve a satisfactory score on the exam.
- Students are required to submit an undergraduate research report for evaluation no later than the date posted by the Department in the semester they intend to graduate. The report must meet or exceed departmental requirements established for the report.
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
- Application and admissions through The Burnett Honors College and department. More information about Honors in the Major can be found at https://honors.ucf.edu/research/.
- Students must satisfy each course’s prerequisites before enrolling in the class.
- Lower division courses do not substitute for upper division courses.
- Courses transferred from private and out-of-state schools must be evaluated for equivalency credit. The student must provide all supporting information.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
- Acceptable Substitutes for common program prerequisites if taken prior to transferring to UCF:
- CHM 2045C : may use CHM X040C plus CHM X041C.
- Physics & Lab: Although the CPP allows substitution by other physics courses, they will not satisfy the major; thus the specified physics courses will still have to be taken.
- Physics: Although the CPP allows substitution by Organic Chemistry, both the specified Physics and Organic Chemistry classes are required in the major and will still have to be taken.
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $45 per term
- Full-Time Student: $90 per term
Plan of Study
- One of numerous possible plans of study. See program description for all requirements. Consult a departmental advisor for alternate, new or more appropriate selections.
- Before registering for Chemistry, you must take the Chemistry Placement Test ~ https://www.sdes.ucf.edu/placement-tests/
- Before registering for Math, you must take Math Placement Test ~ https://www.sdes.ucf.edu/placement-tests/
- Although all classes are listed as being taken during the academic year, you may be required to complete 9 hours of them during the Summer. Consult with an advisor to determine if you are exempt.
Freshman Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (14 hrs)
Sophomore Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (16 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (16 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (16 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
- CHM 4912 - Directed Independent Research Credit Hours: 2
- CHM 4931 - Chemistry Seminar II Credit Hours: 1
- GEP Credit Hours: 3
- GEP Credit Hours: 3
- Free Elective Credit Hours: 3
- Free Elective Credit Hours: 3