Jun 15, 2019
College of Sciences
Department of Chemistry,
Physical Sciences Building, Room: 255
Dr. Tamra Legron-Rodriguez, firstname.lastname@example.org
Students completing the Forensic Science - Chemistry Track B.S. degree will also meet the requirements for ACS certification. This track is designed to allow students the flexibility to prepare for multiple careers in forensics through selection of restricted elective courses. Students should be advised that background checks similar to those required for law enforcement officers are likely to be a condition of employment (Reference: NIJ Report NCJ 203099).
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- Departmental Residency Requirement consists of at least 30 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3000-4000 level courses taken from the UCF Department of Chemistry
- Co-op credit cannot be used in this major.
- Students should consult with a departmental advisor.
- Students must earn a “C” (2.0) or higher in each course and have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA in all courses in Common Program Prerequisites, Core Requirements: Basic Level, Core Requirements: Advanced Level, and Restricted Electives.
- All prerequisites of courses taught within the College of Sciences will be enforced.
- Courses designated in Common Program Prerequisites are usually completed in the first 60 hours.
General Education Program (GEP) (39 Credit Hours)
- Note: Certain courses must be selected in the GEP for this major, which brings the GEP hours above 36
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (7 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (8 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (16 Credit Hours)
See “Common Prerequisites ” in the Transfer and Transitions Services section for more information.
Select one of the following sequences of courses:
Take all of the following:
Core Requirements: Basic Level (16 Credit Hours)
- All courses specifically identified in the preceding Common Program Prerequisites section of this catalog are also required in the Basic Core, and must be taken.
Basic Core: Required, satisfies the CPP
Basic Core: Additional Requirements (16 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (40 Credit Hours)
Forensic Science Core: (35 Credit Hours)
Forensic Chemistry Track: (5 Credit Hours)
Restricted Electives (8 Credit Hours)
Select from the following: (8 Credit Hours)
Note: Substitutions require prior approval by the Forensic Science Program advisor.
- Select primarily from upper level courses after consulting with a departmental advisor. Courses may be outside the department.
Foreign Language Requirements
- Two years high school, or one year college language (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to graduation.
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Earn a grade of “C” (2.0) or better in each course used to satisfy categories 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the degree requirements.
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all courses taken to meet Common Program Prerequisites and Core Requirements: Basic Level, Core Requirements: Advanced Level and Restricted Electives.
- All attempts of courses taken that could meet major requirements are included in the GPA calculation. Additional courses that could meet requirements but are taken beyond the minimum required (e.g., additional restricted electives) and a “C” (2.0) or better is earned are also included in both GPA calculations.
- The last 30 credit hours of regularly scheduled courses that satisfy degree requirements must be taken in Residence at UCF.
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 124
Honors In Major
- Application and admissions through The Burnett Honors College and department. More information about Honors in the Major can be found at honors.ucf.edu/research.
- Lower division courses do not substitute for upper division courses.
- Courses transferred from private and out-of-state schools must be evaluated for equivalency credit. The student must provide all supporting information.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
- CHM 2045C : may use CHM X040 plus CHM X041.
- Calculus: Although other math courses may satisfy the CPP, the specified courses are required in the major and still must be taken.
- Physics: Although CPP requirements permit substitution by Organic Chemistry, all the specified courses are required for graduation and still must be taken.
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $45 per term
- Full-Time Student: $90 per term
Plan of Study
- One of numerous possible plans of study. See program description for all requirements. Consult a departmental advisor for alternate, new or more appropriate selections.
- Before registering for Chemistry, take Chemistry Placement Test ~ https://www.sdes.ucf.edu/placement-tests/
- Before registering for Math, take Math Placement Test ~ https://www.sdes.ucf.edu/placement-tests/
- This plan assumes you need to begin with the three semester chemistry sequence and calculus. Having to start at a lower math class will increase the hours taken.
Freshman Year - Fall (13 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Summer (7 Credit Hours)
Lab may be taken in a later term if seats are not available.
Sophomore Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Summer (5 Credit Hours)
Lab may be taken in a later term if seats are not available.
Junior Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Summer (4 Credit Hours)