Dec 19, 2018
College of Arts and Humanities
School of Visual Arts and Design
(This program is offered at UCF at the Valencia West Campus)
The Bachelor of Design in Architecture was created to meet the local need in Central Florida for an architecture program. The Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) degree program is a partnership with Valencia College and the University of Florida, as part of a 2+2+2 program to enable students to complete an NAAB accredited architectural program in Central Florida. Note: Architecture (B.Des.) majors must have continual access to a computer. Contact the Architecture advising office (407-582-5500) for the minimum hardware and software specifications.
- Completion of an Associate of Arts (A.A.) in Architecture (or similar program) that meets the common course prerequisites of the Bachelor of Design in Architecture program.
- Submission of a completed UCF application packet.
- Participation in a competitive review prior to acceptance.
- Completion of the General Education Program (GEP) at UCF or equivalent.
- UCF admission files from other transfer students will be reviewed on an individual basis to determine if prerequisites and General Education Program requirements are met.
- Successful completion of PHY 2053 with a “C” (2.0) or better is required.
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the current catalog.
- Departmental Residency Requirement consists of at least 36 semester hours of regularly scheduled 3000-4000 level courses taken from the UCF School of Visual Arts and Design.
- Students must earn at least a “C” (2.0) in each required course and maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.0.
- Co-op credit cannot be used in this major.
- Students should consult with an architecture advisor before selecting the major, and at least annually thereafter.
- Completion of at least 120 semester hours of course work, including all required courses.
- No more than 12 hours of overlap allowed in majors or minors completed in the School of Visual Arts and Design.
General Education Program (GEP) (36 Credit Hours)
- Students who have not satisfied General Education Requirements before transferring will complete the remaining courses at UCF. The specific course will depend on the general education courses completed as part of their earlier coursework. If a student has an A.A. degree from any Florida college or university, they will have satisfied the GEP requirements.
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural and Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP)
Core Requirements: Basic Level (33 Credit Hours)
A.A. Courses (completed in the A.A. in Architecture from Valencia College).
ARC 2461 Materials and Methods of Construction and ARC 2180 Introduction to Digital Architecture are electives in Valencia College’s architecture program but required for the B.Des. at UCF. See courses below.
- ARC 1201 - Theory of Architecture Credit Hours: 2
- ARC 1301 - Architectural Design I Credit Hours: 4
- ARC 1302 - Architectural Design II Credit Hours: 4
- ARC 1701 - History of Architecture I or equivalent Credit Hours: 3
- ARC 2180 - Introduction to Digital Architecture Credit Hours: 3
- ARC 2303 - Architectural Design III Credit Hours: 5
- ARC 2304 - Architectural Design IV Credit Hours: 5
- ARC 2461 - Materials and Methods of Construction Credit Hours: 4
- ARC 2702 - History of Architecture II or equivalent Credit Hours: 3
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (45 Credit Hours)
Completed as part of the Bachelor of Design program at UCF.
- Select primarily from upper level courses after meeting with the program advisor.
Foreign Language Requirements
- Two years of one foreign language in high school, or one year of one foreign language in college (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to graduation.
- Signature Experience requirement is met by successful completion of the following course(s):
Departmental Exit Requirements
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
- Grades less than a “C” (2.0) are not accepted.
- Students transferring from any Florida public institution with an A.A. degree or with general education program (GEP) requirements of that institution met have thereby satisfied UCF GEP requirements.
- Lower division courses do not substitute for upper division courses.
- Transfer courses must be evaluated for equivalency credit and/or for use in the area by the department. The student must provide all supporting information.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
- Acceptable substitutes for General Education and Common Program Prerequisites will be determined by the School of Visual Arts and Design and the University.
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Full-Time Student: $90 per term
Freshman Year - Fall (16 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Summer (3 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (19 Credit Hours)
- ARC 2303 - Architectural Design 03 (Valencia College) Credit Hours: 5
- ARC 2702 - Architectural History 02 (Valencia College) Credit Hours: 3
- ARC 2461 - Material and Methods of Construction (Valencia College) Credit Hours: 4
- MAC 1114C - College Trigonometry Credit Hours: 3
- PHY 2053C - College Physics I Credit Hours: 4
Sophomore Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
- ARC 2180 - Introduction to Digital Architecture (Valencia College) Credit Hours: 3
- ARC 2304 - Architectural Design 04 (Valencia College) Credit Hours: 5
- GEP Credit Hours: 3
- GEP Credit Hours: 3
Junior Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (12 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (9 Credit Hours)