Web Address: http://www.nursing.ucf.edu/
The College of Nursing is the twelfth college to be established at the university. Educating nurses since 1979 first as a department then as a school and now as a college and offering a bachelor’s, master’s and two doctorate degree programs. The college has recently moved adjacent to UCF’s main campus to a university-owned building in Central Florida Research Park. Occupying three floors of University Towers, the new facility features modern offices and classrooms, a student learning center, computer labs, and several teaching labs for simulation and skill-building.
The college has achieved prominence as an innovator in nursing education, responding to a changing population with complex health care needs. The faculty of the college values access to education and embrace opportunities to utilize advanced technology, innovation, and creativity to provide graduates with the highest quality education at the baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral levels.
Today’s challenging health care environment provides unique opportunities for nursing. Nurses are needed more than ever to provide evidence-based patient care, serve in leadership roles, teach, engage in research, and in influence policy.
The mission of the College of Nursing at the University of Central Florida is to offer high-quality undergraduate and graduate academic programs designed to prepare nurses to practice in a continuously changing health care environment; to foster quality care and patient safety; to provide innovative access to education and research; to develop nurse clinicians, leaders and scholars who promote the health of diverse populations in local, national and global communities; and to touch lives, lead by example and make a difference through clinical excellence, research and community service.
Integrity, scholarship, community, creativity, and excellence are the core values that guide our conduct, performance, and decisions. These values have been incorporated into a UCF Creed that describes behavior for members of the UCF community, including faculty, staff and students of the College of Nursing.
- Integrity: We practice and defend academic and personal honesty.
- Scholarship: We cherish and honor learning as a fundamental purpose of our membership in the UCF community.
- Community: We promote an open and supportive college environment by respecting the rights and contributions of every individual.
- Creativity: We use our talents to enrich the human experience.
- Excellence: We strive toward the highest standards of performance in any endeavor we undertake.
Our Vision for our Future
As a thriving member of Orlando’s medical city and Central Florida’s health care community, the College of Nursing will be one of the nation’s preeminent leaders in nursing education, practice and research. The college will establish partnerships with some of the nation’s most innovative leaders to model new best practices that harness evolving technology and ensure quality patient outcomes.
- We will create a state-of-the-art educational facility that cultivates a learning environment that promotes and develops the health and well-being of our students and faculty to produce a sustainable workforce in our communities.
- Our proximity to and partnership with leaders in the biomedical and health care industries will provide countless opportunities for collaborative research and clinical practice.
- We will offer the benefits of a large, metropolitan research university while providing individual attention and maintaining a sense of community for our students and faculty.
- Students and faculty will continue to thrive in a trusting environment where diversity is celebrated and individual ideas and talents are mutually respected and supported.
- Students, graduates, and faculty will continue to shape the future of health care locally, nationally and globally by delivering health care services to individuals and communities, influencing health care policy, and contributing to science through their own nursing research.
- We will achieve our vision through a commitment to sustainability, community partnerships, innovative teaching methods, and service learning; and by fostering excellence in teaching, research, service, and practice.
- Mary Lou Sole, Dean
- Susan Chase, Associate Dean