College of Community Innovation and Education
School of Teacher Education,
Education Complex, Room: 209
Education Track Contact: Dr. Debra McGann, ED 122C, email@example.com
The Teacher Education B.S. - Art Education program offers students the option of two tracks: Art Education - Education Track and Art Education - Lifelong Learning Track (non-certification). The Education Track is appropriate for students interested in opportunities for employment with formal, K-12 schools that require certification.
This Teacher Education BS – Art Education program has potential ties to professional licensure or certification in the field. For more information on how this program may prepare you in that regard, please visit https://ccie.ucf.edu/teachered/k-12/art-education/.
- Complete the University General Education requirements or its equivalent, i.e. an AA degree from a Florida College System or State University System institution.
- Complete EDF 2005 - Introduction to the Teaching Profession course with a minimum letter grade of “C-” (1.75) or better.
- Meet the Gordon Rule Requirement.
- Meet the Foreign Language Admission Requirement.
- Have a minimum 2.5 overall GPA
- Pass all four parts of the General Knowledge Test (no alternatives or waivers are accepted).
- Students should see an advisor prior to registering for classes
- The courses designated in (General Education), (Education Common Program Prerequisites), and (Core Requirements: Basic Level) should be completed prior to admission to the major and upper division education courses.
- The Education Track is a state-approved, initial teacher preparation program designed in compliance with Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rule 6A-5.066. Degree requirements are subject to change based on state mandates.
General Education Program (GEP) (36 Credit Hours)
Students are strongly advised to take the preferred courses.
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural and Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
1 A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required
Mathematical Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (3 Credit Hours)
See “Common Prerequisites ” in the Transfer and Transitions Services section for more information.
A grade of “C-“(1.75) or better is required.
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (87 Credit Hours)
- A grade of “C-“(1.75) or better is required.
Education Core Requirements (15 Credit Hours)
- A grade of “C-“(1.75) or better is required.
Education Track Specialization Requirements (57 Credit Hours)
NOTE: ARE 4453 is taken three (3) times: once in the Fall, once in the Spring, and once in the Summer.
Internship I (3 Credit Hours)
- Prior to Internship I, the student must have completed EDG 4410 , TSL 4080 , Common Program Prerequisites, ARH 2050, ARH 2051, ART 2201C, ART 2300C , GRA 2101C, and at least 50% of all required specialization courses indicated with a letter grade of “C-” (1.75) or better. However, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required in the education core, specialization and overall for admission into Internship I.
- Passing score on the General Knowledge Test portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) is required before entry into Internship I.
- Passing score on the Professional Education Test portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) is strongly recommended as soon as possible after completing the following courses: EDG 4410, EDF 4467, RED 4043, and TSL 4080.
- Students must apply and be approved for Internship I. Deadline dates and placement application are available through the Office of Clinical & Field Experiences at https://ccie.ucf.edu/clinicalexp/. A fee may be required as part of the placement application process
- ARE 3940 - Internship Credit Hours: 3
Internship II Block (12 Credit Hours)
All specialization courses and all education core courses must be completed with a letter grade of “C-” (1.75) or better before entry into Internship II. However, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required in the education core, specialization and overall for admission to Internship II.
Passing scores on all sections [General Knowledge, Professional, and Subject Area (Art K-12)] of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) are required prior to entry into Internship II.
Satisfactory completion of Internship II requires the student to demonstrate proficiency in all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices in accordance with State Board of Education rule 6A-5.066.
Students must apply and be approved for Internship II. Deadline dates and placement application are available through the Office of Clinical & Field Experiences at https://ccie.ucf.edu/clinicalexp/. A fee may be required as part of the placement application process
Foreign Language Requirements
- State University System foreign language admission: two years in high school or one year of college instruction in a single foreign language. (This requirement applies to those students admitted to the University without the required two units of foreign language in high school)
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in all courses within the major.
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in the education core coursework.
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in the specialization coursework.
- Achieve a minimum overall 2.5 GPA
- You must upload key assignments using the Via by Watermark platform. Key assignments are assessed by faculty to provide evidence of candidate proficiency in all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs). All teacher education candidates, Lifelong Learning majors, and Early Childhood Development & Education majors (all ECDE tracks) are required to complete Via requirements before being certified for graduation. See https://ccie.ucf.edu/explore-via/
- Pass all applicable sections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination. Effective January 1, 2015, only examination results earned by educators within 10 years prior to the date of application for a new Florida Educator’s Certificate with the Florida Department of Education may be acceptable for certification eligibility requirements (SBE Rule 6A-4.002)
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 126
Honors In Major
- Consult with your Education advisor and review your degree audit for more recent information.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $12 per term
- Full-Time Student: $24 per term
Plan of Study
Art Education Track (K-12)
Freshman Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (12 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Summer (6 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Summer (6 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Summer (6 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (12 Credit Hours)