Jan 28, 2021
College of Arts and Humanities
Department of Music
Performing Arts Center (PAC) M203
Associate Instructor of Music – Percussion & Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies: Kirk Gay
Audition Requirements for Admission
The audition for the composition program consists of three parts:
- Portfolio – including three compositions with audio recordings
- Music Theory Exam
For more information on the audition requirements, go to https://music.cah.ucf.edu/composition.php
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog.
- At least 65 hours of credit must be earned in music courses.
- Departmental Residency Requirement; at least 30 hours must be taken from the UCF Music department.
- Composition students must present one faculty-approved public recital.
- Students should consult with a departmental advisor for course selection.
- Courses designated in General Education Program are usually completed throughout four years of study.
- Students must complete a faculty-approved Senior BM web portfolio.
- A cumulative minimum GPA of 3.00 based upon all courses required in the major as well as all courses taken in music is required. Failure to maintain this standard may result in program probation or dismissal. Please refer to the SPA Student Handbook (http://performingarts.cah.ucf.edu/music/resources) for details on program standards.
General Education Program (GEP) (36 Credit Hours)
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Statistics - Computers: (3 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (30 Credit Hours)
See “Common Prerequisites ” in the Transfer and Transitions Services section for more information.
Core Requirements: Basic Level (27 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (24 Credit Hours)
Professional Sequence Requirements:
Restricted Electives (3 Credit Hours)
- Any MUC, MUE, MUG, MUH, MUL, MUM, MUN, MUO, MUS, MUT, MVX courses numbered 3000 or higher.
Special Non-Course Requirements: Ensemble Participation
- Select from any MUN 3XXX course.
- Students taking a course in Performance must concurrently take a major ensemble appropriate to their principal instrument or voice.
- Select primarily from upper level courses after meeting with a departmental advisor. Courses may be outside the department.
Foreign Language Requirements
- Two years of foreign language in high school or one year of foreign language in college (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to graduation.
Signature Experience requirement is met by successful completion of the following course(s):
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Earn a grade of “C” (2.0) or better in each Music course.
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
- Lower division courses do not substitute for upper division courses.
- Courses transferred from private and out-of-state schools must be evaluated for equivalency credit. The student must provide all supporting information.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $45 per term
- Full-Time Student: $90 per term
Plan of Study (120 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (17 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (17 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (16 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)