May 18, 2021
College of Sciences
Nicholson School of Communication and Media:
UnionWest at Creative Village (UWCV), 200
Professor & Program Director: Deanna Sellnow
Nicholson Academic Student Services Center (NASSC):
The Certificate in Strategic Communication allows students to become familiar with the strategies and tactics used in strategic communication initiatives and to demonstrate they have conceptual knowledge and applied skillsets for the achievement of communication goals.
- Not open to Advertising/Public Relations, Communication & Conflict, Human Communication, Journalism, or Radio-TV majors.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required in all courses used to satisfy the certificate.
- Grades below a “C” (2.0) in lower level courses are not counted in the certificate.
- No more than 6 credit hours in another certificate, minor or major can be used to satisfy requirements in this certificate. (Note: The myKnight Audit cannot capture overlapping courses between two or more programs; therefore, students should have their program reviewed by the School before filing for graduation.)
- Most courses for this certificate will have prerequisites completed as a part of a student’s GEP requirement, as general electives, or a student can enroll into courses with consent of instructor.
Required Courses (12 Credit Hours)
High Impact Integrated Learning Experience (3 Credit Hours)
The course used to satisfy the High Impact Learning Experience requirement for the Strategic Communication Certificate may not also be used to satisfy a learning requirement for another major, minor, or certificate without the prior approval of the department chair. Students may choose 3 hours of approved NSCM study abroad courses.
- ADV 4903H Honors Directed Reading I
- ADV 4906 Independent Study
- ADV 4912 Research
- ADV 4970H Honors Undergraduate Thesis
- COM 4903H Honors Directed Reading I
- COM 4906 Independent Study
- COM 4912 Research
- COM 4941 Internship
- COM 4970H Honors Undergraduate Thesis
- PUR 3912 - Collaborative Experiential Research Practicum Credit Hours: 3
- PUR 4903H Honors Directed Readings I
- PUR 4906 Independent Study
- PUR 4912 Research
- PUR 4941 Internship
- PUR 4970H Honors Undergraduate Thesis
Foreign Language Requirements
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 15
- Internship, co-op, or independent study credit can be used toward this certificate with prior approval.