Feb 27, 2021
College of Community Innovation and Education
School of Teacher Education
Secondary Education Program
Education Building & Gym (ED), 209
Associate Lecturer & Secondary Education Academic Program Coordinator (Lifelong Learning Track): Dr. Janet Andreasen
Education Building & Gym (ED), 123Q
The Secondary Education B.S. - Science Education Biology - Lifelong Learning Track (non-certification) program is specifically focused on students who wish to use their knowledge of Science Education - Biology to pursue educational careers outside of traditional schools. The Lifelong Learning Track prepares graduates for employment in a broad spectrum of professional opportunities including non-profits and non-traditional educational agencies. The Lifelong Learning Track is appropriate for students seeking opportunities for employment outside formal, K-12 schools that do not require certification.
- Complete the University General Education requirements or its equivalent, i.e. an AA degree from a Florida College System or State University System institution.
- Complete the EDF 2005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession course with a minimum letter grade of “C-” (1.75) or better.
- Meet the Gordon Rule Requirement
- Meet Foreign Language Admission Requirement.
- Have a minimum 2.5 overall GPA
- Students should see an advisor prior to registering for classes
- The courses designated in 1 (UCF General Education Program) and 2 (Education Common Program Prerequisites) should be completed prior to admission to the major and upper division education courses.
General Education Program (GEP) (39 Credit Hours)
Note: Students are advised to take the preferred courses.
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
General Education Program elective from Cultural & Historical Foundation, Area 1 to meet Gordon Rule Requirement Credit Hours: 3
Mathematical Foundations (7 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (8 Credit Hours)
1A grade of “C-“(1.75) is required.
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (15 Credit Hours)
See “Common Prerequisites” in the Transfer and Transitions Services section for more information.
A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required.
Core Requirements: Basic Level (6 Credit Hours)
Education Track requires 3 semester hours
Lifelong Learning Track requires 6 semester hours
A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required.
Transfer Notes: Courses taken at Florida College System institutions may substitute for select courses in this section with the permission of the department.
Students should consult with advisor regarding course options
Lifelong Learning Track (6 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (60 Credit Hours)
- A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required.
Education Core Requirements (24 Credit Hours)
Lifelong Learning Track Specialization Requirements (36 Credit Hours)
Select preferred specialization courses with advisor approval. A minimum of nine (9) hours must be taken in the content area. A minimum of twelve (12) hours must be taken in Education coursework (prefix EDF, EDG, EEX, LAE, TSL, RED). Substitutions are allowed with advisor approval.
A grade of “C-“(1.75) or better is required.
Must have a total of 48 or more hours of upper level courses to graduate.
Foreign Language Requirements
- State University System foreign language admission requirement: two years in high school or one year of college instruction in a single foreign language. (This requirement applies to those students admitted to the University without the required two units of foreign language in high school.)
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in all courses within the major.
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in the education core coursework.
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in the specialization coursework.
- Achieve a minimum overall 2.5 GPA .
- You must upload key assignments using the Via by LiveText platform. Key assignments are assessed by faculty to provide evidence of candidate proficiency in all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPs). All teacher education candidates, Lifelong Learning majors, and Early Childhood Development & Education majors (all ECDE tracks) are required to complete Via by LiveText requirements before being certified for graduation. See http://livetext.education.ucf.edu
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $12 per term
- Full-Time Student: $24 per term
Plan of Study (120 Credit Hours)
Science Education Biology – Lifelong Learning Track
Freshman Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Summer (6 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Summer (6 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (15 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Spring (15 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (12 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Spring (12 Credit Hours)