College of Education and Human Performance
School of Teaching, Learning, and Leadership,
Education Building, Room: 209
Dr. Malcolm Butler, ED 322T, email@example.com, 407-823-3272
Dr. Janet Andreasen, ED 123Q, Janet.Andreasen@ucf.edu
The Secondary Education B.S. - Science Education Chemistry program offers students the option of two tracks: Science Education - Chemistry Track and Science Education - Chemistry Lifelong Learning Track (non-certification). The Education Track is appropriate for students interested in opportunities for employment with formal, 6-12 schools that require certification. The Lifelong Learning Track is appropriate for students seeking opportunities for employment outside formal, K-12 schools that do not require certification.
- Students should see an advisor prior to registering for classes
- The courses designated in 1 (UCF General Education Program) and 2 (Education Common Program Prerequisites) should be completed prior to admission to the major and upper division education courses
- The Education Track is a state-approved, initial teacher preparation program designed in compliance with Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rule 6A-5.066. Degree requirements are subject to change based on state mandates.
General Education Program (GEP) (37 Credit Hours)
- Note: Students are advised to take the preferred courses.
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Science Foundations (7 Credit Hours)
1 A grade of “C-” (1.75) or better is required.
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (15 Credit Hours)
See “Common Prerequisites ” in the Transfer and Transitions Services section for more information.
Core Requirements: Basic Level (10 Credit Hours)
Education Track requires 10 semester hours
Lifelong Learning Track requires 13 semester hours
Transfer Notes: Courses taken at Florida College System institutions may substitute for select courses in this section with the permission of the department.
1 In addition, a minimum of 6 hours with an international or diversity focus is required. The foreign language admission requirement may be used to meet this requirement.
Education Track (3 Credit Hours)
Lifelong Learning Track (6 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (55 Credit Hours)
- Education Track requires 58 semester hours
- Lifelong Learning Track requires 55 semester hours
Education Core Requirements (18 Credit Hours)
Education Track requires 18 semester hours of Education Core Requirements
Lifelong Learning Track requires 21 semester hours of Education Core Requirements
1 Prerequisite to Internship I
Education Track Specialization Requirements (21 Credit Hours)
Internship II Block (12 Credit Hours)
At least 80% of all required chemistry courses and all methods courses must be completed with a letter grade of “C-” (1.75) or better before registering for Internship II. However, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required in the professional, specialization and overall for admission to Internship II.
Passing scores on all sections [General Knowledge, Professional, and Subject Area (Chemistry 6-12)] of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) are required prior to entry into Internship II.
Students must apply and be approved for Internship II. Deadline dates and applications are available through the Office of Clinical Experiences at http://www.education.ucf.edu/clinicalexp/
Satisfactory completion of Internship II requires the student to demonstrate proficiency in all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices in accordance with State Board of Education Rule 6A-5.066.
Lifelong Learning Track Specialization Requirements (34 Credit Hours)
Select preferred specialization courses with advisor approval. A minimum of nine (9) hours must be taken in the content area. Substitutions are allowed with advisor approval.
A grade of “C-“(1.75) or better is required.
Must have a total of 48 or more hours of upper level courses to graduate.
Foreign Language Requirements
- State University System foreign language admission requirement: two years in high school or one year of college instruction in a single foreign language. (This requirement applies to those students admitted to the University without the required two units of foreign language in high school.)
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in all courses within the major.
- In courses throughout the program, you must upload key assignments into your LiveText Dashboard. These key assignments are then assessed by faculty. The resulting data provides evidence of your demonstrated professional growth, reflection, and proficiency in all Florida Educator Accomplished Practices. All teacher education candidates, lifelong learning majors and early childhood and development and education majors (all ECDE tracks) are required to complete all LiveText requirements in order to be cleared for graduation. http://livetext.education.ucf.edu/
- Pass all applicable sections of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination. See http://www.fldoe.org for test dates and test sites. Effective January 1, 2015, only examination results earned by educators within 10 years prior to the date of application for a new Florida Educator’s Certificate with the Florida Department of Education may be acceptable for certification eligibility requirements (SBE Rule 6A-4.002)
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $12 per term
- Full-Time Student: $24 per term
Plan of Study (120 Credit Hours)
- Recommended Four Year Sequence of Courses
Freshman Year - Fall (13 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Spring (12 Credit Hours)
Freshman Year - Summer (6 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Fall (14 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Spring (13 Credit Hours)
Education Track (3 Credit Hours)
1 Transfer Notes: Courses taken at Florida College System institutions may substitute for select courses in Other Program Requirements with the permission of the department.
Lifelong Learning Track (3 Credit Hours)
Sophomore Year - Summer (4 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Fall (16 Credit Hours)
Education Track (7 Credit Hours)
Lifelong Learning Track (7 Credit Hours)
- Choose Lifelong Learning Specialization courses Credit Hours: 7
Junior Year - Spring (14 Credit Hours)
Education Track (8 Credit Hours)
Lifelong Learning Track (8 Credit Hours)
Junior Year - Summer (3 Credit Hours)
Senior Year - Fall (13 Credit Hours)
Education Track (10 Credit Hours)
Lifelong Learning Track
- Choose Lifelong Learning Specialization courses Credit Hours: 10
Senior Year - Spring (12 Credit Hours)
Education Track (12 Credit Hours)
Lifelong Learning Track
- Choose Lifelong Learning Specialization courses Credit Hours: 12