Apr 19, 2021
College of Nursing
UTWR, Room: 3rd floor
Dr. Stephen Heglund, RN to BSN Coordinator
Dr. Maureen Covelli, Assoc. Dean Undergraduate
Dr. Mary Lou Sole, Dean
BSN completion program for individuals who are licensed RNs. Students must complete all university-wide graduation requirements (general education, foreign language, Gordon Rule, etc.). All courses are available online and some courses may be offered face-to-face as well. For more information, see http://distrib.ucf.edu/home, and http://www.nursing.ucf.edu.
- Acceptance to the university does not constitute admission to the upper division nursing program. Separate application to the limited access program must be made directly to the College of Nursing by the posted deadline. For application deadlines, please visit http://www.nursing.ucf.edu.
- Admission to the University must be completed by the program application deadline.
- All applicants must have graduated from an approved or accredited associate degree or diploma nursing program.
- All applicants must have current Licensure as an RN.
- All applicants must have completed the UCF General Education Program (GEP) requirements or completed an AA degree from a Florida College System or State University System institution or have no more than a total of 9 credit hours remaining to meet UCF General Education and/or Foreign Language graduation requirements.
- At least seven (7) of the eight (8) Common Program Prerequisites must e completed by the program application deadline with at least a grade of “C” (2.0) or better in each course.
- All applicants must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.8.
- All 8 prerequisite courses must be completed before program begins.
- Students who change degree programs and select this major must adopt the most current catalog year, including minors.
- Students should consult with a college advisor or Florida College System A.A. transfer advisor regarding completion of General Education Program requirements.
- Students should consult with an advisor in the College of Nursing Undergraduate Student Services Office for clarification or questions regarding Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) requirements.
- The courses designated in sections 1 and 2 below may be taken at a Florida College System or State University System institution.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5 and a minimum 2.5 GPA in the nursing major are required for continuation in and graduation from the nursing program.
- UCF Residency Requirement: 30 hours.
- The courses designated in UCF General Education Program (GEP) and Foreign Language Requirements must be completed prior to enrolling in the third semester in the BSN program. Students may have no more than 9 hours of outstanding coursework in these two areas at the time of admission.
General Education Program (GEP) (36 Credit Hours)
Communication Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Cultural & Historical Foundations (9 Credit Hours)
Mathematical Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Select One: (3 Credit Hours)
Social Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
Select One: (3 Credit Hours)
1 One of these courses is required to meet General Education requirements.
Science Foundations (6 Credit Hours)
1Science Foundation is 6 credit hours for General Education Program. The BSC course is needed as a course prerequisite for Anatomy and Physiology and Health Microbiology. Chemistry is a prerequisite for Nutrition(HUN 3011 )
Common Program Prerequisites (CPP) (18 Credit Hours)
1 Also meets General Education Requirements; Applicants should see a UCF Nursing Advisor for possible course substitutions.
2 (or other approved Science)Also meets General Education Requirements; Applicants should see a UCF Nursing Advisor for possible course substitutions.
3 May take Anatomy and Physiology sequence (AP I & II) of eight total credits
Select One: (3 Credit Hours)
Core Requirements: Basic Level
Core Requirements: Advanced Level (56 Credit Hours)
UCF Core (27 Credit Hours)
Upper Division Credit (29 Credit Hours)
Upper Division Credit may be met by Validation and RN License.
Restricted Electives (3 Credit Hours)
- Any one upper division nursing elective (NUR, NSP, NGR prefix)
- variable to meet degree requirements
Foreign Language Requirements
- Two years of one foreign language in high school, or one year of one foreign language in college (or equivalent proficiency exam) prior to enrollment in third semester in the BSN program.
- A criminal background check and mandatory Drug Screening may be required prior to any clinical course and “on demand” for continuation in the program.
- Complete all courses in major with at least a “C” (2.0).
- Maintain a UCF GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Maintain a College of Nursing GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Prior to third semester in the BSN program: 1) complete general education requirements or A.A. from a Florida College System or State University System institution; and 2) complete foreign language admission requirement.
- Selected courses may be offered at various Orlando and regional campuses.
- All RN to BSN courses are available online. Some classes and labs are also available in person on select campuses. Clinical practice requirements are completed in the student’s home community. For more information visit http://www.nursing.ucf.edu.
- A maximum of 6 upper division credit hours of Nursing courses may be transferred from another institution.
Departmental Exit Requirements
- Completion of all courses in major with a grade of “C” (2.0) or better
- Overall cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
- College of Nursing GPA of 2.5 or above
- This program must be completed in no more than seven years from enrollment in the first BSN course within Core Requirements.
University Minimum Exit Requirements
- A 2.0 UCF GPA
- 60 semester hours earned after CLEP awarded
- 48 semester hours of upper division credit completed
- 30 of the last 39 hours of course work must be completed in residency at UCF.
- A maximum of 45 hours of extension, correspondence, CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Armed Forces credits permitted.
- Complete the General Education Program, the Gordon Rule, and nine hours of Summer credit.
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 120
Honors In Major
- Contact Program Coordinator or HIM Advisor
- Students are required to design an individual plan of study with an advisor. An example plan is noted below. Any changes to that plan must be made in consultation with the advisor. Failure to do so may result in a delay of program progression and/or graduation.
Acceptable Substitutes for Transfer Courses
Program Academic Learning Compacts
- Part-Time Student: $25 per term
- Full-Time Student: $50 per term
Plan of Study (30 Credit Hours)
- assuming general education, foreign language, and nursing prerequisites are complete