May 18, 2021
College of Arts and Humanities
Department of Writing and Rhetoric,
Colbourn Hall, Room: 301 B
Dr. Laurie A. Pinkert, Program Director, Laurie.Pinkert@ucf.edu, 407-823-1057
Adele Richardson, Program Advisor, email@example.com, 407-823-0349
Dr. Marcy Galbreath, Program Advisor, Marcy.Galbreath@ucf.edu, 407-823-0745
The Minor in Writing and Rhetoric will provide students with the in-depth study and practice of writing and rhetoric. The curriculum emphasizes civic, professional, and digital writing.
Minor Admission Requirements
- Courses transferred from private and out-of-state schools must be evaluated for equivalency credit. Students must provide all supporting information.
- Students should work with a department academic advisor to select courses that support the students’ intended career or path post-graduation.
- Students cannot earn both the Minor in Writing and Rhetoric and the Certificate in Public and Professional Writing .
Required Courses (3 Credit Hours)
Students should take this core course as early in the program as possible.
Restricted Electives (15 Credit Hours)
Theories and Histories of Writing, Rhetoric, and Literacy (3 Credit Hours)
Students must take at least one course from the following:
Applications of Writing and Rhetoric (6 Credit Hours)
- Students must take at least two courses from the following two groups. Students can take one course from each group or two courses from one of the groups.
Civic and Cultural Rhetoric and Writing
Professional and Digital Writing
Additional Restricted Electives (6 Credit Hours)
- Students must take at least 6 hours from the following:
- Any 3000 or 4000 level ENC, LIN, or CRW course not used to satisfy another requirement of the minor.
- Any 3000 or 4000 level writing-intensive course approved by the program director. See program director or advisor for list of approved courses.
Foreign Language Requirements
Total Undergraduate Credit Hours Required: 18
- Students must earn a minimum 2.5 GPA in coursework used to satisfy the minor.
- A grade of “C+” (2.25) or better is required in each course used to satisfy the minor.
- At least 12 hours used to satisfy the minor must be taken from the Department of Writing and Rhetoric at UCF.